Chicken Cordon Bleu
makes 8 servings
- 8 Thin sliced chicken breasts (flatten each one a bit to be sure they are even)
- 1 1/2 cups plain panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons dried parsley (or other herbs you like)
- 8 slices swiss cheese (each cut in half)
- 16 slices of thinly sliced ham (I used the 97% fat free kind)
- 1 cup egg beaters liquid egg substitute ( for dipping only)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
I use a SILPAT to line my baking sheet, but you can use parchment if you like.
*note: I didn’t use one drop of oil on this recipe*
Mix together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and parsley and black pepper.
Pour egg beaters into a bowl
Take each chicken breast and lay down 1/2 a slice of cheese, 2 slices of ham and the other 1/2 slice of cheese.
Roll up to encase the cheese and ham, and close up with toothpicks (you don’t want all the gooey cheese leaking out )
Take each rolled up chicken breast and dip in egg beaters, and then into the bread crumb mixture to coat evenly.
Place on lined baking sheet.
Repeat with each one till done.
Bake at 375 about 25-30 minutes (till chicken is done)
**when you remove it from oven, let it sit for a few minutes to let the juices settle and the cheese to set back up again. If you skip this and cut right into it the juices and cheese will just run right out.